With the announcement of the Lok Sabha elections in 2019, the world’s largest democratic processes began. The parliamentary elections are held every five years in India, a process that ends with a popular vote that decides which political party has power over the next five years in India.
All the voters in India have something to say in this process and if you are among them, here is a practical guide on how to vote in India. Choosing your vote in India is not a complex process, but you must be diligent and verify if your name is on the voters list and if your voter’s identity card has accurate information. Here’s how you can do it in preparation for the election of Lok Sabha in 2019, which will be held throughout India beginning in April.
Can I vote in India?
The first thing you need to check is whether you are eligible to vote in India.
Documents needed to register as a voter in India –
You need three things to register as a voter in India.
- Passport size photos
- Documents proof of age (any document among the following)
- Birth certificate issued by the municipal authorities or the district office of the birth and death certificate or baptism
- School birth certificate (Governor / Recognized) attended by the candidate or any other recognized educational institution
- If a person in class 10 or more passes, you must provide a copy of the class 10 assessment sheet, if it contains the date of birth as proof of the date of birth.
- Class 8 spreadsheet if it contains the date of birth; or
- Class 5 spreadsheet if it contains the date of birth; or
- Indian passport
- PAN card
- Driver’s license
- Letter from Aadhar issued by UIDAI.
- Proof of residence documents (each of the following)
- Bank book / Kisan / Postal office post office
- Ration card
- Driver’s license
- Income tax assessment order
- Last rental contract
- Last water / telephone / electricity / gas connection bill for that address, on behalf of the applicant or their immediate relationship as parents, etc.
- Any mail / letter / mail delivered through the postal service of India in the name of the applicant to the address of habitual residence.
How to register to vote in India
Follow these steps to register as a voter in India.
- Make sure you are eligible to vote in India by verifying all the above criteria.
- Go to the new voter registration page of the National Voter Service (NVSP) portal. As an alternative, you can log in to the NVSP website and click on Form6, which is located below the following text. Apply online for the new voter registration / due to the AC transition.
- Complete all the details on this form and upload a photo, proof of age and proof of residency.
- Once this is done, scroll to the bottom and click on Send.
How can I correct or update the details of the voter ID card online?
The following steps will help you correct or update the details of the voter ID card online.
- Go to the correction page of the NVSP voter ID card. Alternatively, you can visit the NVSP website, scroll to Correction for entries in the electoral roll role and click on Form8.
- Now complete the form and remember to select the fields that must be corrected in Select the element to be corrected.
- When finished, scroll to the bottom and click Send.
How can I check the status of the voters’ identity card online?
If you have requested an online voter card, you can go to the NVSP Voter Card application status page or go to the NVSP website, scroll down to monitor the status of the application and click on State of the application. If this page does not load, you will have to try it later. You can also check the status of the voter identification request through SMS.
Is my name on the 2019 voters list?
With the election of Lok Sabha 2019 just around the corner, it is a common practice to verify if your name is on the voters list. Follow these steps
- Go to the NVSP election search page. This page keeps going down, so try later if it doesn’t open right now.
- You can click Search by EPIC number if you have the electoral card, enter the EPIC number indicated in the voter’s ID and tap Search.
- Or, click Search for details, enter all the details and tap Search.
Can I vote online in India?
No, there is no way to vote online in India for any category of voters.
This covers the most important details on the vote in India during the election of Lok Sabha 2019.